Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Nude Ankles > Boot Ankles > Canckles

Last Saturday I went to Central Park to cheer on friends that were racing in a half marathon I was supposed to have used as one of my final training runs before the "Big Day". It was a relatively therapeutic experience, actually, and not nearly as traumatic as I had initially feared it might be. It was kind of like when Charlotte threw a baby shower for Miranda. Except without the unwanted pregnancy.

I attribute my relative calm of late to several things. First and foremost, I have been bootless for two full weeks now. Taking that bad boy off was such a relief because as much as I enjoyed the attention of people staring at my on the subway or having people ask me every five feet, "what did you do to your leg!?" it actually started hurting my back from walking around with it. Because you're not supposed to walk around with it. Kind of the point. Oh, well. C'est la vie.

So now, my ankle is NUDE for the world to see. It's a little achy still some days and I still haven't really been able to comfortably wear heels, but I seem to be progressing nicely. According to my doctor I can try to jog this week. Look for more on that in the next post (fingers crossed that it goes well!)

Which brings me to point number two on why I'm staying relatively calm: Alternatives. As you remember, I am still running in the water. And you are probably still laughing at me. Well, laugh away, good sir, because it's the best freaking workout ever. No impact, but very impactFUL (see how I did that?) It absolutely gives you cardio and muscle toning in a way I really haven't found before with other workouts. [I sound like a damn info-mercial, but it's true!] I've also added in one day a week lap swimming and have started more regularly going to my Total Body Conditioning classes.

The one class in particular that I love is at 6:30 in the morning. It's popular, so you really need to arrive by 6:15. Meaning I need to leave by 6:05ish. Meaning I have to get up at 5:45. Vom. It.

But once you're in...my goodness, is it awesome. This bi-yatch is good. She's having us jump jacks (or side-step as the ankle may have it), plank, lift weights, do crunches, and over-all just get our tushies absolutely KICKED for a straight hour. And she means business. She knows me now because I've been going for several months and stand near the front. And she kind of murders me every class. I actually thought today that I might throw up in front of everyone, and the scary thing is that I bet she'd freaking love that.

All in all, though, it's worth it. Because I am calm. And on my way to this:

That's right. Bonafide Stud-Muffin.

The third point, though, is all-encompassing and perhaps the most important and it is regarding routine. I think it's always hard in any aspect of one's life to majorly shift normalcy and change up an established routine, and that's exactly what I had to do with this whole ankle bone nonsense.

A marathoner gets into a crazy routine that involves not only the actual mileage, but also eating, sleeping, and pretty much every other bodily function (use your imagination). An injured marathoner goes on an alcohol and ice cream binge. I'm not sure if it's universal, but 100% of the person in my sample size acted in this manner. Then I calmed down a little bit and got into my new exercise regimen. Went grocery shopping. Laid off the sauce (the chocolate sauce that is...I'm still drinking pretty heavily). I'm enjoying having my Friday nights and my Saturday mornings, and mostly I'm trying to stay focused on what I have to do to DESTROY the 2012 Marathon. Absolutely embarass it with my awesomeness.

But I'm about to shake things up. Might as well announce my big news here in my world-famous blog. Still no unwanted pregnancies since the beginning of this entry (so don't get all excited), but I will have a new addition to my life next week.

Let me introduce you to....









It's gonna be legend....









Wait for it...
















CAT!



Name still TBD (suggestions welcome...) but isn't he the CUTEST?! Seriously. Look into his eyes and tell me you don't see unicorns and apple pie and happiness. TELL ME YOU DON'T! Exactly. You do.

I promise not to become a Crazy Cat Lady. Or at least I'll strive for that. We'll make it a long term goal, how about that? I do swear that this formerlly upstanding blog isn't going to be come "Cat, MeriG, Cat." I'm just super excited to get him.

Although he'll be mixing up my new, normal, calm routine...I think we all need a little change up once in a while. Add a new piece of furniture. An endtable or new bookshelf. Or a litter box, perhaps. Whatever floats your boat.

If I had been marathoning, I never would have jumped at the chance to adopt this lil' fella from a friend who is fostering him. So maybe everything happens for a reason, right? Or maybe I'm just about to get the absolute sh*t scratched out of all my stuff. Either way, it will definitely be another (needed?) change from routine. Until next time... I leave you with a scene from HIMYM:

Little girl: Do you have a fiancée?
Lily: Marshall was here yesterday, they just learned the word fiancée.
Robin: Oh no, I don’t have a fiancée.
Little girl: Then who do you live with?
Robin: Well, actually, I’ve got five dogs.
Little girl: Don’t you get lonely?
Robin: No, I’ve got five dogs.
Little girl: My grandma has five cats and she gets lonely.
Robin: Well, yeah, that’s cats, I’m not some pathetic cat lady, not that your grandmother is some pathetic cat lady – does anybody else have questions?
Little boy: Are you a lesbian?
Robin: NO, ARE YOU? Jeez. [mumbles] Every woman that lives alone is not a lesbian.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps not "Cat, MeriG, Cat," but no doubt "Pussy, MeriG, Pussy."

    See what I did there? One simple line, and I just took back the title of best blogger ever.

    And yes, this is the first (and hopefully only) time I read your blog. Now I must wash my eyes out with soap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote Barney or Stinson for the name!

    ReplyDelete