Thursday, July 21, 2011

Lay Off Me, I'm Starving!

I had to share with you a little store about what happened at lunch in the company cafeteria today. My co-workers -- I am sure -- are scarred and will never quite be the same.

To preface, I ran 5 miles last night and then an additional 5 miles this morning. It is 1,000 degrees out and the humidity is akin to running through a swamp. The sweating has been monumental.

In the effort to be healthy and fiscally responsible (i.e. afford beer), I packed a moderately-sized healthy lunch and snack for the day. After eating not one, but two full breakfasts plus a snack before noon today, I finally arrived at lunchtime. My sandwich...and what was intended to be my afternoon snack...didn't stand a chance. I ate -- nay -- destroyed them. Record time.

My poor, innocent friend Kelly was sitting to my left enjoying her Meditteranean salad. I'm not going to lie to you right now: It looked good. Real good. Mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, little bit of couscous in there, some hummus, pita, olives...good stuff all around.

She appropriately finished her meal, but had neglected a stray pita bread in her salad container. I noticed. As my colleague went to close the plastic lid in order to throw away yet another to-go container whilest Dining In (no judgement, Kelly!) I reacted in a mildly...uncomfortable manner. This manner would be me throwing myself across the table and putting my hand in between the top and bottom of the salad container while yelling "NOOOO!"

"Wow. You could have just asked for some pita," remarked Kelly as the rest of the table stood by stunned.

By this point my mouth was full of delicious pita and there was nothing I could do but sit and think about what I had done...

And about how many more hours there are until dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment